HERE ARE CRUCIAL DETAILS IN TEACHER INTERNS’ SALARIES, DEDUCTIONS, CODE OF CONDUCT, AND RESPONSIBILITIES
TSC INTERNS SELECTION
The Teachers Service Commission had advertised a total of 10, 300 vacancies for teacher interns.
Interested candidates were henceforth required to tender their interest online through the TSC website by 24th October 2019.
After 24th October 2019, County Directors were expected to invite successful applicants for interviews via Short Messaging Service, SMS.
The recruitment guidelines for 2019/ 2020 FY and guidelines for TSC teacher internships will apply.
Once selected, the TSC intern is expected to sign an Internship Agreement with the TSC using a prescribed format.
TSC INTERNSHIP GUIDELINES
For effective implementation of the TSC internship Programme, the Commission will:
- Plan and budget for the internship programme.
- Declare Teacher Internship vacancies annually and advertise available vacancies through newspapers and the TSC online website.
- Follow any statutory guidelines and national policies on interns.
- Appoint supervisors and mentors to assist the interns acquire necessary skills in the teaching field.
- Pay teacher interns their stipend.
- Monitor and evaluate internship programmes in schools.
- Issue certificates to interns upon completion of Internship.
- Keep track of all teacher interns who have successfully completed the internship.
ROLES OF A SUPERVISOR
The supervisor is on the other hand expected to be accountable for:
- Creating an enabling environment for the success and development of interns.
- Assigning duties to interns.
- Appointing a mentor for the interns.
- Supervising work performance of interns.
- Appraising the interns.
- Setting performance targets for the intern- upon consultation of the intern and the mentor.
- Assigning space and equipment to the intern within the school.
- Preparing a written evaluation of the performance of the intern and organizing a meeting with the intern for effective feedback.
- Monitoring and evaluating the interns.
- Giving feedback to the Teachers Service Commission on termly and annual basis on the progress/ development of the intern’s performance and challenges experienced.
- Interns cannot be accepted as substitutes for teachers or represent the Commission or the host school in any official duty.