TSC News Today; TSC Breaks Silence On The Fate Of P1 Teachers With Certificates during Upcoming Internship and Mass Recruitment 2022-2023
TSC Official Response on the Fate of P1 Teachers Without Diploma Qualifications
TSC news today on P1 teachers: The Teachers Service Commission, TSC has given an official response on the blatant quagmire bordering on the Fate of primary school teachers commonly referred to as P1 teachers without diploma certificates.
A few months ago, startling details had emerged showing that no primary school teacher will be recruited during the Competence-based curriculum era in Kenya without possessing at least a diploma in primary teacher education, DPTE first.
According to the author whose name I will not reveal for obvious reasons; P1 teachers who are yet to enroll for the new Diploma in Primary Teacher Education, DPTE course rolled out in the year 2021 with an aim to sharpen Teachers’ skills so that they can defectively handle the new CBC curriculum, will have their teaching license revoked till they register for DPTE. Besides, all currently unemployed P1 teachers with a certificate in primary teacher education should not bank on the teachers’ employer, the Teachers Service Commission, TSC to recruit them during Upcoming internship, Replacement or permanent and Pensionable Recruitment Exercises.
The Teachers Service Commission has however delivered good news to primary school teachers who hold certificates. TSC boss Dr. Nancy Macharia says that recent rumours that primary school teachers with certificates will not be employed is not true. Macharia says that all trained primary school teachers will be employed by the commission.
Macharia has noted that as primary school teachers with degrees, masters, higher diplomas and PhDs will be deployed to secondary schools, more vacancies will be created in primary schools. As Competency Based Curriculum is about to be implemented, the commission will deploy over 30,000 P1 teachers to secondary schools. These gaps will be filled by primary school teachers who hold certificates.
Macharia further says that because of the 100% transition, more teachers will be needed in secondary schools. As these teachers will be promoted, more gaps will be created in primary schools and will therefore be filled by P1 teachers with certificates. This comes days after news surfaced that P1 teachers with certificates will not be employed by TSC unless they upgrade. Macharia says that they should not worry as the commission will employ all of them.
Other TSC Recruitment Requirements include;
To be employed by the Commission one must meet the following requirements;
- 1 Must be a Kenyan citizen
- Must be 45 years of age and below
Must be registered as a teacher as stipulated in Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission Act 2012.
B: Those registered but do not possess Certificates of Registration must attach a copy of online printout of TSC Number and original bank pay-in slip for teacher registration.
Original Professional and Academic Certificates which may include;
- CPE/KCPE Certificate
- KCE/KCSE Certificate
- PTE Certificate
- Diploma Certificate
- Degree Certificate
- School Leaving Certificate
Check Out: TSC Recruitment of Teachers in Post Primary Institutions
NB: Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the onus of the concerned teacher to follow-up with KNEC within 14 days.
2.0. QUALIFICATIONS FOR RECRUITMENT BY TSC
2.1. Graduate Teachers
Applicants must have:
- a minimum mean-grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE and C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or, a minimum of two (2) principles and one (1) subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level.
In addition, they must have:
- A Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching subjects.
- A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching subjects. TSC Employment Requirements
- Bachelor of Science with Education and Bachelor of Arts with Education with two teaching subjects.
NB: Bachelor of Education holders with C Plain mean grade and C Plain in the two teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a diploma or A-Level also qualify
2.2. Diploma Teachers
Applicants must have:
- a mean grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE or its equivalent and with at least C+ (or Credit Pass) in the two teaching subjects or a minimum of one (1) principle and two (2) subsidiaries at ‘A’ level or
In addition, they must have:
- A Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training Institution.
Diploma Teachers who graduated in 2008 or before with a mean grade of C (plain) and C (plain) in the two teaching subjects qualify for consideration. TSC Employment Requirements
2.3. Certificate Teachers
- Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.
- PTE Certificate from KNEC.
- Mean grade of C-(minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons.
- Special Needs Education: KSL and Braille is considered as a second teaching subject e.g. Biology/KSL, Geography/Braille
Candidates whose training is in subjects that are not in the Kenyan Curriculum don’t qualify for employment irrespective of undertaking a Post Graduate Diploma in education and enhancement.
- Applicants with Economics/Accounting, Social Education, and Ethics can apply for business studies and CRE/IRE vacancies respectively.
- Diploma teachers with English /other subjects qualify for employment as Teacher/Literature teachers.
All applicants must have studied the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for agriculture, business studies, Home Science, and computer. For those who did not study business studies and computer, one should attain a minimum of a C+ in mathematics in KCSE. For those who did not study agriculture and home science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in biology at KCSE.
- Graduate teachers should have studied a minimum of 8-course units in each teaching subjects.
- Candidates presenting enhancements certificates/ transcripts from recognized institutions qualify for employment.
- b) Teachers who are above 45 years can apply to be recruited on contractual terms.
- Such teachers will be recruited on a 3-year renewable contract subject to performance
- Such teachers engaged in the contract will not serve beyond the age of 65 years
TSC Employment Requirements: Recruitment and Selection
- Applicants applying for posts in Primary schools must be holders of a P1 certificate.
Interested candidates should apply to the TSC County Director, in the County where a vacancy has been advertised and submit all relevant academic and professional documents.
Primary teachers are usually employed through competitive selection interview. During the selection day one should carry the following original documents to sub-county selection panel;
1 National Identity card.
2 CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one repeated exam).
3 PTE certificate.
4 School/college leaving certificates.
- Applicants applying for posts in Secondary Schools must be holders of a minimum of Diploma in Education Certificate.
Interested candidates should apply to the Secretary, Board of Management of the school where a vacancy has been advertised and submit a copy of the application to the TSC County Director.
Please note that The Teachers Service Commission only deals with TSC County Directors and Boards of Management in this exercise. Direct application to the Commission will NOT be considered.
For detailed information on available vacancies in sub-counties and schools/institutions applicants are advised to:
- Visit the TSC Website: http://www.tsc.go.ke/ and/or
- Visit the TSC office at the County or Sub-county of their choice. TSC Employment Requirements