Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

- Advertisement -

KNEC:How to Replace Your Lost KNEC KCPE or KCSE Certificate; Certifying Letter and Requirements for Application


- Advertisement -

How to Apply for a Replacement of your KNEC KCSE and KCPE Certificate; Certifying Letter and Requirements for Application

Accidents do occur however how cautious one may try to be.

- Advertisement -

So many people have lost their KNEC Certificates in the past so in case you lost yours recently, shelve your worry for you are not the only one.

The good news is that you can have your certificates replaced by the Kenya National Examinations Council if you follow the right procedure.

Replacing lost KCSE Certificate (s)

The Kenya Certificate of secondary Education (KCSE) is issued to all KCSE candidates who have successfully completed their four year course after sitting for the national examinations.

If this certificate is lost, one should immediately apply for a confirmation slip from the Kenya National Examinations Council.

Remember, you will not be given a certificate but a slip known as  a certification letter.

A Certification Letter will confirm that the affected candidate did  sit the examination in question.

The KNEC deputy secretary in charge of field administration Mohamud Ibrahim said the changes were effected this year to avoid incidents of people using fake certificates in the country.

“Those requiring new certificates can apply, and must be issued with a notification confirming they sat the examination. Please note that confirmation of KNEC certificate costs Sh 2,320,” reads his statement in part.

Mohamud Ibrahim further said  that remarking of candidates’ answer scripts after the release of results had also been stopped.

To obtain the certification letter from KNEC;

Applicants are required to fill the KNEC Certificate Replacement Form when requesting for certificate replacement.

The form can be obtained from the KNEC Archives and Records Offices or downloaded from KNEC website Online.

Carefully fill in the details required and attach the relevant documents to accompany the form.

The following documents should be presented together with the application:

Copy of the certificate [s] or result slips[s].

Mandatory lAetter of recommendation from head teacher of the school attended or from CEO( County Education Officer)/SCEO ( Sub-County Education Officer) for private candidates or for those their schools have been closed down addressed to KNEC; [Original Mandatory]

Sworn legal affidavit on identity of applicant; [Original Mandatory]

Letter of recommendation from employer to KNEC; [Original Mandatory]

Police Abstract indicating of loss of certificate; Report should be done at the point of loss. (Original mandatory)

Copy of Identification Card [ID]/Passport or Birth Certificate for those under 18 years.

Thename on Birth Certificate/ID Must tally with those used during Examination.Those who have changed their names legally must attach the legal documents they used to change their name. E.g. marriage certificate for women or a copy of the Gazette where the changed name appears. [Mandatory].

Any Application with differing Examination details will not be processed.

- Advertisement -

KNEC bank deposit slip; Original Mandatory

The fees required for Replacement Certificate is KES 5,000/= + 16% VAT KE 800/- a total of 5,800 per certificate. The fees should be paid at KNEC collection accounts in any branch of the following banks:

Equity Bank
Co-operative Bank of Kenya
National Bank of Kenya
Kenya Commercial Bank[KNEC deposit bank slips are available in these banks]

The duly filled submitted form should be submitted to the
Council Secretary/Chief Executive
Kenya National Examinations Council
P.O Box 73598 – 00200,
City Square,

The certificates are usually ready for collection after duration of sixty working days from the KNEC offices.
The replacement certificate should be collected in person by the owner by presentation of original passport/ID. Minors are to be accompanied by one of the parents with original ID.
Certificates that will not have been collected within 2 years from date of application will be disposed off without further communication and No refund.
Read also: why Knec stopped issuing the KCSE and KCPE certificates

Required Documents:

Copy of the certificate(s) or results slip(s)

Letter of recommendation from head teacher of school attended or from CDE/DEO (District Education Officer) for private candidates and for candidates whose schools have closed down address it to KNEC

Sworn legal affidavit on identity of applicant

Letter of recommendation from employer where applicable

Police Abstract indicating loss of certificate(s)

Knec Bank Deposit slip(Original)

Copy of National Identity Card (ID)

The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) has temporarily stopped the replacement of lost, defaced and burnt certificates.

Knec in a statement said the services have been stopped to address challenges facing the system that is offering the service.

Those however requiring replacement would instead be given a notification sheet indicating he or she sat the examination in question.

Offices and their contacts

Kenya National Examination Council
Should be addressed to,
Council Secretary / Chief Executive Officer
P.O. Box: 73598 00200, Nairobi, Kenya.

KNEC Head Office- Nairobi
National Housing Corporation (NHC) House,
Aga Khan Walk
P.O. Box: 73598- 00200,
Tel: +254 020 3317412 / 3317413 / 3317419 / 3317427 / 3341027 /3341050 / 3341071 / 3341098 / 3341113 / 2213381
Mobile: 0720741001/0732333860
Fax: +254-020- 2226032
Email contact: info@knec.ac.ke
Website: Website

National Bank Building
Harambee Avenue
Tel: +254 – 020 246919 / 020-247204
Ex-telecoms House, 3rd floor
Haile Selassie Avenue,
Tel: +254 -020 2211545/6/7

Mitihani House
Dennis Pritt Road,Kilimani
Tel:+254 – 020 2713874 / 020-2713894 / 020-2713845; 020-2715980 / 020-2711536
Industrial Area Offices,
Ministry of Public Works, Supplies Branch,
Likoni Road.
Tel:+254 – 020 650821 / 020-650822
Email: info@knec.ac.ke .

Get an application for replacement of lost certificates and carefully fill.
The application form can be obtained from the KNEC Archive and record office or downloaded from the KNEC website www.knec.ac.ke
Applicants are expected to complete the application form when requesting for a replacement certificate and submit it to the council secretary
The applicant must appear in person and should be collected by the owner in person.
Certificate MUST be collected within two years otherwise it might be disposed off without communication.
Applicant must be aware that once payment is made there is no Refund.
Applicants MUST ensure that their certificate are LOST or DESTROYED before applying for replacement.
Required Information:
Name of the applicant
Address and contact information
School or Examination Center
Full index Number
Name of the Examination KCPE/KCSE,KCE,CPE
Year of examination
National ID
Applicant signature
Proof of payment
Information which might help:

The Kenya National Examinations Council [KNEC] started implementing policy in replacement of certificates for the affected candidates who sat for KNEC examinations from year 1981 on 2nd March 2009, it should be noted that Replacement for certificate is issued once only.
Certificate use:

The certificates are used when applying for admission to higher levels of education i.e. tertiary levels

The certificates are required when applying for job placements


Enter Your Mail Address

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.