A dormitory has been reduced to ashes at Musingu Boys High School in Kakamega.
The fire broke out on Saturday morning.
According to sources within the school, the fire was caused by an electric fault.
Confirming the incident, Mr Benson Lukunyi the school’s principal said a welding machine which was being used to repair the dormitory’s windows had exploded causing the fire.
The machine exploded at around 9.30 A.M. setting the dormitory on fire.
Madaraka Taifa Dormitory was being used to store books, lockers, mattresses and other student property.
He further added that the 354 candidates who are currently going on with the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education KCSE are safe.
They have been directed to remain calm as the school’s management handles the situation.
Madaraka Taifa Dormitory is home to form one and three students who are currently at home for the November/ December holidays.
Nothing was saved from the dormitory.
YET ANOTHER DORMITORY
This incident comes barely two months after another dormitory was set ablaze affecting more than 120 students.
The first incident of fire was caused by an electric fault too.
Joseph Chesire, Kakamega Sub County Police Commander said investigations have been launched.
Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale who is an alumnus and a neighbour of the affected school has urged parents to remain calm since the situation is under control.
He pointed a finger at the contractors who had been hired to do wiring at the dormitory.