How to file KRA Tax Returns (individual) online using P9 Form via the official KRA iTax Portal, step-by-step guide
With cyber attendants demanding for up to Kshs 200 service charges upfront in order to file KRA returns using P9 forms for TSC employed teachers, it is important that teachers learn some of these simple procedures and file the returns on their own.
There is no point in paying anyone to do such simple tasks as filing returns or activating your TPAD2 log into the account.
In our previous article, we offered a very reliable link and simplified procedure for activating your TPAD2 log in account. You can click on the link below for more details
In this article, we shall provide all the requirements and a detailed procedure for filing KRA returns for TSC employed teachers in Kenya
Requirements for filing KRA Returns for the employed
There are three basic requirements for filing KRA returns through iTax portal that is KRA PIN number, iTax Password, and KRA P9 Form
KRA PIN Number
This can be obtained from your KRA Certificate.
This shall enable you to log onto the official KRA Portal and file your returns. In case you forget your password, you can reset it, give the answer to the security question and click to submit.
A new password will be sent to the email used to register for your KRA PIN which you will use to access your account.
KRA P9 Form
This refers to a tax deduction form indicating your Employer’s Tax PIN, Gross pay, Taxable pay, PAYE and Personal Relief.
A P9 form usually records tax data for one year that is 12 months however, the number of months on one’s P9 form varies depending on the date of employment and the deductions.
How to file KRA Returns using P9 Form
- Log onto the KRA iTax portal by clicking on the link provided below https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
- On the spaces provided, use your KRA PIN and iTax password to log onto the iTax portal.
- On the next page that will appear, highlight the tab labeled “Returns” then click on the tab labeled “File Returns” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- On the next page, fill all the mandatory fields starting with the “Tax Obligation” –Income Tax-Resident Individual (for Kenyan residents with employment income) then click on Next.
- At this stage, download the Income Tax Resident Individual Form in Excel format since the zipped folder will force you to unzip it later.
- Enable Macros on the Excel sheet because the default macros on the Excel sheet in Microsoft Excel 2007 cannot work in this case for it is disabled.
- Once the form opens in Excel, complete the following four parts using the correct details: Basic info, Employment Income, Details of PAYE Deducted and Tax Computation