What is a Competence Based Curriculum?
This is a uniquely designed model that is designed to promote the development of skills, knowledge and application of competencies by learners to real life situations.
It further aims at imparting knowledge, skills and attitude that build broad competencies which help in solving everyday problems.
This new system of education was designed by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) and launched in 2017 by the Ministry of Education.
- CBC focuses on learning outcomes
- It is learner centered
- It is a learner-driven process hence active
- Meant for learners who are born into the world of technology (techno servi learners)
- Classes are now referred to as grades
- ECDE has 2 levels, not 3 i.e. PP1 & PP2
- Subject areas are now known as learning areas
- Topics and sub-topics are now called strands and sub-strands respectively
UNIQUE FEATURES/ CHARACTERISTICS OF KENYA’S COMPETENCE BASED CURRICULUM
- It is flexible for it enables learners to receive credit for what they know, not what they are expected to know.
- It not only focuses on the learner’s academic knowledge but also talents.
- ICT is integrated at all levels
- Learners receive individualized attention
THE 7 CORE COMPETENCIES OF KENYA’S COMPETENCE BASED CURRICULUM
At the end of the learning period, a learner is expected to achieve the following competencies:
- Communication and collaboration
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Imagination and creativity
- Digital literacy
- Self –efficacy
- Learning to learn
CBC LIFE VALUES
CBC aims at promoting the following values:
Kenya’s Competence Based Curriculum’s basic education is divided into three main levels:
- Early years education
- Middle school education
- Senior school
After acquiring basic education, the learner can proceed to higher education levels
It takes at least three years.
There is no fixed time frame since it varies depending on the course.
(Grades 10, 11 & 12)
It takes three years.
The age bracket is 15-17 years.
It lays the foundation for further education and training at tertiary level
(Grades 7, 8 &9)
It takes three years
(Grade 4, 5 &6)
It is part of middle school
Formerly referred to as class 4, 5 &6 respectively
Gives learners a chance to experiment and explore
(Grade 1, 2 &3)
Formerly referred to as lower primary which comprised class 1, 2 &3
Abbreviated as PP1 & PP2
Referred to as ECDE under the 8-4-4 curriculum
ADVANTAGES OF THE COMPETENCE BASED CURRICULUM
Kenya’s proposed new competence based curriculum has got a number of merits over the former 8-4-4 system of education. These include:
- It is highly flexible for its structure depends on the learner’s ability.
- It encourages increased learner involvement since learners are in charge of their learning-learner-centered
- It is centered on skills and competencies that learners can easily apply to real life situations- situations that learners can easily relate with
- Furthermore, the CBC curriculum enables the learner to specialize in areas that s/he is competent. Thus it will not end up producing jacks of all trades but masters of none